the episodes

How this started - the eleven "episodes".

It began in 2008 with an issue I was trying to address: a longstanding frustration with recreational folk dancing. I had trouble learning new material, and often felt awkward. Yet occasionally I also heard people say I was a good dancer. Sure, in the course of life, being hypercritical of oneself is a common pitfall. But I started noticing that beyond the internal conflict, I was also dealing with a contrast of values and esthetics within folk dancing that I had not previously noticed or heard discussed.
At the time, I was using Myspace for miscellaneous blogging. To maintain continuity between posts on this topic, I numbered each one as an "episode". Though I may not be focusing on the original issue, I think I'll keep the name for now. Kef is a good thing. Though you can't necessarily make it happen - when it does, it is always appreciated.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

episode 7 - different strokes (MySpace 8/04/2008)

Where’s the kef? - episode 7 - different strokes
Subject Where's the kef? - episode 7 - different strokes
DateCreated 8/4/2008 11:42:00 PM
PostedDate 8/28/2008 2:17:00 AM
Body On some Fridays, I visit the Arcata folk dance club - not to dance, but to practice Balkan music with "E". When I showed up two weeks ago, I encountered some hot activity in progress - a lively and enthusiastic mixed-age crowd, more so than what I'd seen in recent years. Great. Based on the movements and the recorded music, my guess was that they were learning a Croatian-style choreography originally created for the stage. The effect seemed intended to communicate "big fun!".

Not strictly "folk dance". But still, I stood there admiring, wondering if I should join in. The steps were a little challenging - but heck, challenges are good for you.  And lord knows, I needed the exercise. But, somehow, it didn't turn me on.

Just then, an older guy with a big paunch - someone new to the group, who had been gamely following along - spoke up in loud measured tones that suggested radio experience, "This dance seems like it was made up by a child." Ooo...faux pas! The teacher saved the moment with a cheerful, "Yes, a 40 year old child!"

Cultural mis-read, yet also with an uncanny aspect of emperor's new clothes. The guy was absolutely on to something. "Happy peasant" choreographies tend to portray peasants as - flirtatious, virile, fun ... and also, well, sort of child-like. Furthermore, to inexperienced ears, some of the music may seem to have a nursery rhyme quality.

When I returned last week, I found them working on that same fun dance, and doing a great job. "E" and I went upstairs to practice our stuff - vocals, kaval (flute) and tupan (drum) - AFAIK, not a traditional combo in the Balkans.

While we are playing Pustono Ludo (the Rhodopi song), the dancers arrive upstairs, and start dancing to what we're playing. Neat. But some don't get it - even though this is just a simple pravo. So "C" starts a quick teach, without music, and I continue with one of the young newcomers. But she still feels uncomfortable, and says to me, "Eventually, I will learn this dance!" I tell her pravo is not something to be "learned," but to be done. She should just join in and look around for someone who seems to "get it," and try to copy their moves. She responds by raising her hand for a palm slap.

"C" then breaks out the fans, and leads an O Bon dance, straight away, without teaching. "C" says that it was initially hard teaching them as "folk dances," because he was raised in the culture - and had learned them by doing. I watch and marvel how another of the newcomers is dancing with the same feel and spirit as "C". I catch her as she leaves, and ask about her experience. She claims that the dance is new to her - but that she is a "visual learner".

Modest. And impressively skilled, and fortunate. Provided good sources - dancers and music - this person will have no problem "getting it".

Next: episode 8 - a Devetorka lesson
Previous: episode 6 - New York
Start:
episode 1 - the Peninsula

No comments:

Post a Comment